Thursday, June 18, 2009

Don't believe what anyone tells you!

Hey we made it to 30 weeks today. I went for my much dreaded glucose tolerance test. Everyone told me how disgusting the sugar slurry would be and I was , understandably, grossed out. In fact, I have been more anxious about this test than any reasonable person would believe.
Was it anywhere near that bad? Of course not. It was like drinking an orange drink. Kind of tasty actually, and that's coming from someone that doesn't even drink soda or Snapple. No nausea, no aftertaste, no nada. I waited my hour patiently and had my blood drawn, es todo! I could not believe how many people had told me that this was such a big deal.
Now why do I mention this? I think it is a great example of how everything involved with pregnancy is generally blown out of proportion, exaggerated and fear producing. I, personally, thought that this would be 9 months fraught with vomiting, extreme exhaustion, painful kicks, muscle cramps and sciatica. Not to brag, but I have not thrown up in spite of intermittent GI upset/nausea etc, I have not been so tired that I could not work full time, and to date, I have not had any unusual pains (knock on wood). I have gotten sick more than usual and fiber has become my best friend. Now am I INCREDIBLY lucky? Or is really just the outliers that have major problems? Don't get me wrong, I think some people do have worse symptoms, and maybe they are not taking good enough care of themselves, maybe they are just more sensitive to hormones. But I do think, for the most part, pregnancy gets a bum rap.
The vast majority of people probably have mild symptoms, and no complications. They may blow things out of proportion, they may not. But I hear so many people echoing my initial thoughts about pregnancy I just want to dispel some of the fear and anxiety that women have been insidiously exposed to. Of course it is also a thrilling time when you feel your baby growing inside you!
So if anyone is thinking of getting pregnant and afraid of everything they have heard, forget about it!
Here is my recent belly pic: "30 weeks".

Hasta Luego,
Dr. A

No comments: