Sunday, February 22, 2009

Pregnant!



Ok, for anyone who reads this post and doesn't know I'm pregnant, that's probably because I've been a hermit. Or maybe you have not called me back. But now I'm going public, because I'm out of the notorious "first trimester" and I got my CVS results back. Good news! Normal Baby Girl. At least normal in regards to Down Syndrome and that is the most likely issue at my age.
I am currently 13 weeks. That is my girl up there on the sonogram. I was so anxious about that. On the one hand my maternal instincts were telling me everything was fine, but on the other hand I am a pediatrician and I KNOW all the things that can go wrong and do.

It's been interesting. At my first sonogram (7 weeks by dates) the doctor said the baby looked more like 5 weeks, and there was only a 50/50 chance of viability. There was also a second sac, which was empty, meaning I had two eggs fertilized but one was not successful in becoming a baby. I was a little sad but really, twins? I think it was probably for the best.
At the subsequent sonograms, the baby remained about 12 days behind, so my due date changed from 8/18 to 8/27. However baby is growing so I am happy.
Everything about being pregnant is exactly what they say. The first thing that happens is the constant bathroom breaks. Your bladder wakes you up every two hours at night, right from the outset~ and along with it the incessant thrist. They say you need to drink 8 8oz glasses of water a day. I think I drink that much between 10pm and 6am.
Then, you get really nauseated and yet you are starving at the same time. Something you normally like can disgust you so badly you start wretching. If someone is eating the wrong thing around you, the smell can send you over the edge. I have not gotten weird cravings, but if you want something you really want it and you fantasize about it until you get it, even if it takes weeks.
But fortunately that clears up (at least it did for me, except the cravings) rather quickly. then comes the heartburn and the other GI issues ( I won't go into detail, TMI) but it's pretty much the same for all of us. The one thing I would not have predicted is how much I am showing at such an early stage. I have seen lots of 13 week women that don't show one bit and I am already all maternity clothes all the time. I have also been sick a lot, since the immune system takes a 9 month break to prevent rejection of the little one. That has made it hard to exercise. Therefore I am not sure all the increased weight is due to baby and may be partly cellulite, but it's all good. BabyDaddy thinks I'm more beautiful than ever, so I'm happy to go out and buy myself new clothes! Any excuse to shop is good for me.
Well let me say again, that if you are reading this and you don't already know, I apologize and I hope we get together soon.

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Oh, wow. Look at that baby! Look at the big ol' head (makes sense with the parents). Thanks for sharing this.